Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Day 5 10/22/08- Shoes

I have a problem, I cannot get rid of my shoes. each pair is a race, a vacation, a wedding, or just a good old time. They pile up in my closet, I trip on them, I wear them no matter how tattered, just as an excuse to keep them. I have racing spikes from my days as a track runner that I haven't used in 11 years and will most likely never use again. But it is the most likely that keeps me around.

My missionary of a cousin has been to be looking into the word hope recently and it got me thinking about my shoes. Not only do they represent events of the past, but they are a hope for the future. I cannot get rid of those spikes, because I hope to run a track race again. I cannot throw out those loafers, because I hope to recover the feeling of comfort they once gave me. It is only when a pair of shoes has failed me that I can throw them away, and I do it without mercy. If they wear out to early, give me a blister, or are not the walking on clouds experience I expect, into the trash they go. As it is with all things that are hope, if they deliver on their promise then they are cherished forever, if they fail us they are forgotten.

Athlete who win the gold get commercials, shoe deals and a place in the hall of fame. Politicians who satisfy the peoples demands get re-elected, high paying speaking engagements and their own library. My shoes that helped me run fast, look good, and be comfortable get to stay in my closest.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I like this one. There is certainly a little bit of you in each on of those.

Andrew Christopherson said...

Thanks. I was cleaning my closet and there they were. When I realized I don't dare throw any of them away I figured I should take a picture.